Monday, November 12, 2012

Time and Relative Dimension in Space

I've been doing fewer and fewer major projects as my real job has taken up more and more of my time, but I'm still managing to stay in the game with smaller, personal projects. This includes my latest Halloween costume! Halloween is my favorite holiday, surpassing my birthday since I've reached my late-20s. This year my husband and I decided on a "couple's costume" back in August: Dr Who and the TARDIS.

I didn't want to be a big blue box and I love creating costumes based on imaginative interpretations, so I started by sketching out some design ideas, then scouring the Web and shopping centers for inspiration. I eventually settled on the following:

- Sparkly blue headband to represent the light on top of the TARDIS (Target $4)
- Plaid scarf to represent the windows (SakkasStore.com $20)
- Blue dress (Express $35)
- Yellow shoes (my wedding shoes, spray-painted yellow)
- Tote bag inspired by the signs on the outside of the TARDIS (made with black and white fabric scraps, a Sharpie, white paint, and tea)

I usually try to avoid spending much money on costumes, but I knew the dress and scarf could be incorporated into my regular wardrobe, so I didn't worry much about price. Plus, I had a blast doing it and it was a nice distraction from the demands of my job. So was the party we threw!


[Quick note on the dress: It was way too big, but unavailable in the next size down. After wearing it for the party, I started to doubt whether I would wear it again because it was literally falling off of me, as evident in the photograph. Then I had the brilliant, though delayed, idea to shrink it in the dryer. Now it fits perfectly!]






No comments:

Post a Comment