Monday, May 28, 2012

What I Do

When I was a kid, my parents set a rule: I was only allowed to rearrange my bedroom every six months.

This was clearly a rule put in place out of necessity.

Since then, my love for rearranging furniture has grown into a love of recreating furniture. I acquire used furniture the way some people buy clothes. This came in handy in college when I reupholstered a $35 couch using sheets from Target, $7/yard upholstery fabric, and a staple gun. And when I bought my first dining table and chairs for $100 at the flea market, painting and reupholstering the set twice in six years. And when buying a house required buying my first dresser, which I found for $55 at Helping Hands Mission Thrift Store. After some sanding, stain, paint, and new hardware, I cherish this dresser only slightly less than my wedding ring and childhood stuffed bear.

When I came home a few months ago with a small chest of drawers I rescued for $10 (from Helping Hands, my very favorite source), my husband very logically wondered what I was planning to do with it. That was when I realized I had a problem: After nearly a year in my own home, I had run out of rooms to decorate.

Thus, the blog. I'll be presenting my finds here and documenting my renewal efforts. I'll start with some of the projects from my own home, but most of the pieces will either be commissioned by clients or posted for sale on Craigslist for people living in the Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill area of North Carolina.

Abandoned decor, prepare for rescue.